Manipur: One dies three hospitalised, Suspected food poisoning

Imphal, June 15 2022: A 35-year-old man died of suspected food poisoning after consuming Sebot (Sponge Gourd) Kanghou (fried dish) while three other members of his family have been admitted to hospital, where they are still recuperating.

The deceased man has been identified as Longjam Khamba (35) son of Longjam Chaoba of Thongju Part 2 Pechu Lampak while his mother Longjam Ibemu Leima (68), elder sister Longjam Purnima (47) and elder brother Longjam Tompok are still undergoing treatment at Raj Medicity after they were shifted from RIMS hospital.

Local sources said that Tompok bought the Sebot (Sponge Gourd) from Kongba Keithel on June 9 morning and the family consumed it after making Kanghou along with Sougri Thongba on Monday morning.

Fortunately, Chaoba, the victim’s father, did not consume the dish.

Later, in the afternoon, they developed symptoms of food poisoning like vomiting and loose motion.

They mistook their condition as some minor ailment but their condition worsened post-midnight and they were rushed to RIMS hospital in the early morning of Tuesday.

Khamba died on Wednesday morning and the remaining three family members were shifted to Raj Medicity.

Tompok has been discharged later and is recuperating at home.

Two pieces of the vegetable are still lying in their kitchen and the family members are hoping that food security officials copduct test to find out possibility of use of pesticide, strong chemical preservatives or product enhancing chemicals being injected in the vegetable.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *