Imphal, August 14, 2022: Seven cadres of the banned Manipur militant outfit Peoples’ Liberation Army (PLA) were arrested from Thoubal district of Manipur ahead of Independence day celebrations. The arrested militants were allegedly planning to plant explosive devices at various government installations and target security forces in Thoubal district and other districts of Manipur. They were apprehended by teams of Commando Thoubal and 16 Assam Rifles on Saturday.
Manipur Police said that they were involved in killing of two non-Manipuris recently.
According to police, they received a tip-off from 4 AR around 8.30 am on Saturday about the plan to plant explosives under the instructions of one-self styled lieutenant colonel of the PLA Rishikanta.
Manipur Police commando of Thoubal district and a column of 16 AR led by additional SP (Ops) O Wangkhomba and assisted by OC Commando Thoubal inspector N Sadananda under the supervision of SP Thoubal Jogeshchandra Haobijam rushed towards Yairipok Bazaar and conducted a cordon and search operation to trace the location of the explosive devices.
Later, a day-long operation was conducted at various locations in Thoubal, Imphal East, Imphal West and Kakching Districts, during which the PLA cadres were arrested.
The arrested militant outfit have been identified as
- Chingakham Basanta Singh, 38, alias Khambaton of Andro Khuman Nungyumbi;
- Moirangthem Jitesh, 22 of Kakching Nongthou Leikai;
- Konjengbam Romeo, 28 of Moirang Kanjengbam Maning Leikai, cuurently residing at Awang Sekmai Koujengleima;
- Phanjoubam Rabi alias Luwangamba, 26 of Andro Labaojam Ching Leikai;
- Salam Mangijao, 55, son of Kakching Wairi Salam Leikai;
- Naorem Manoj, 23 of Luker Mayai Leikai, Imphal West;
- Samurailatpam Akash alias Muston Sharma, 19 of Kakching Wairi Saban Bamon Leikai.
From their possession, one Smith and Wesson 9 mm pistol with magazine; one Beretta 9 mm pistol with magazine; 35 live rounds of 9 mm ammunition; two hand grenades were seized.